This was not a hard job, I probably overdid things a bit! It was a very windy day though, and of course the wind was blowing the tree in the exact opposite direction we needed it to fall. Figures! I didn’t want to take any chances with the house being right there and all though. We had an opening right where I set the tree, which was what I was aiming for. It made the cleanup a bit more difficult, but there was much less risk to the structure.
Rigged and then some
First we set the line in the removal with a beanbag. Then I decided on the landing for the Pine, and ran the tail thru there to the next tree. It was a fairly big Juniper. I used a pulley on the Juniper to redirect the rope towards the truck, where we would be tying off the rope. I was a bit skeptical to use the Juniper for this because a tree right next to the Juniper had died and rotted away. I was sure that the Juniper’s roots were weakened by the missing tree. I’ve seen other trees in similar situations fall over in the wind. That’s all I needed…
From the redirect I went to the hitch on the truck. Using a double pulley, also attached to the truck, we were able to get just enough slack in the pull line to tie it off to a little Juniper next to the truck. I did this because I had a vision of the wind coming along and blowing the removal tree over backwards, pulling the truck up over the hill and down the other side with it, as it sailed away on the mountain breeze. Well, since it’s not my truck I decided to anchor it, just in case. Better safe than sorry? Absolutely!
Once everything was rigged, tightened, checked, and secured it was time to do some cutting! Of course there was a fence right beside the removal, so I had to get creative with my cutting. I ended up reaching up about head level and making a Humbolt notch, which is not my normal notch. I usually use the conventional notch. Doesn’t sound like a big difference, but if you rarely practice one or the other… Luckily I was using my Jonsered CS 2253, so it wasn’t too hard to hold up there by my head. Here is a link to OSHA’s definition of tree notches.
I had Chris keep tension on the line as I was cutting, and as the tree fell. I really didn’t want to buy the home owner a new roof! I made my notch and checked it for aim. It was spot on. We had already communicated about the sequence of events, so Chris knew exactly what was going to happen. We both watched the surrounding trees for evidence of any wind. Once I was happy with the lull in the wind, I signaled and got confirmation to commence the back cut.
I kept cutting, even as the tree was falling, the thought being to help it to continue in the desired direction. It worked, the tree fell perfectly into the spot I desired with barely a sound. It fell as softly as a leaf! Not really, but that’s how it seemed in my slow motion trance, watching it fall. Now the only thing left was to clean up the mess…
So, that’s how I overdo things sometimes. I like to err to the side of caution. I didn’t need to buy my boss a new truck, nor the homeowner any new house bits. I figured it might be better to spend a few minutes rigging to make sure things went how I wanted. It worked!
Thanks for reading along! Feel free to share any rigging stories you may have in the comments below. Also, thanks for sharing, liking and subscribing! Questions and comments are always welcome, too. Oh, and the featured image is neither the tree nor saw in this article… But it is me!
Safety first, Cass “Cronkito”
Read all about the mighty little Jonsered CS 2253 here!
Check out this neat rigging tale here!